Friday, April 5, 2013

Kilmainham Jail has small cells!

I know what you are thinking… “What trouble has Joel gotten into now”? Don’t worry – I haven’t. We took a historical tour of the Kilmainham Jail in Dublin. It was a great way to learn more about Ireland’s history.  We walked under the point where over 100 people were hung to death at the jail. We saw the log book that documented children as young as 5 years old who were put in jail.  We also got to see the jail cells where many known Irish Rebellion leaders were detained.
Standing in a cell, closing the door behind me and looking out the small window provoked interesting thought.  This jail promoted the 3 “S’s” – Solitude, Silence and Surveillance, with 1 person per cell, no talking, and constant monitoring.  The incarcerated were locked in the cell 23 hours a day, with 1 hour for either exercise or religion. I am glad that I am not staying there.                  
The photos, 1 of an older cell and the other of me in a newer cell, taken through the guard’s peep-hole, are complimentary of Renee Koester.
Image


Image

No comments:

Post a Comment