Thursday, April 18, 2013

Couch Surfing makes me smile.

As Renee and I arrived in Glasgow, we wandered the streets (or course we could have taken a cab or a bus… but what is the fun in that) for about 2 hours (in a little rain), before we finally found the address of our first ever couch surfing host. Krishna is a friendly Indian man, who after ten minutes of chatting with, gave Renee and I a copy of keys to his house. I stood there shocked for a minute, and asked “you trust us with this?”, to which he replied something along the lines of “if you don’t believe in the goodness of humanity, then what is there?”. I quickly realized that couch surfing was much more than a cheap way to travel. It is a way to get to know people and cultures, share your own culture, and a great way to build friendships. Couch surfing quickly became our preferred way to interact with each new city and country.

No comments:

Post a Comment